有关hedge的定义

Lakoff (1972)称模糊限制语为“一些具有把事物弄得模模糊糊的词语”(words whose job is to make things fuzzier or less fuzzy)。按照Lakoff 的定义,“一些令听话者得不到确切信息的词语,如kinda(=kind of),sort of等是模糊限制语;而一些表达推测或不确定含义的词语,如I guess,I think等,也算是模糊限制语。

有些词语本身就有模糊性,比如一些形容词beautiful high等,频率副词,程度副词,都会使一些听话者得不到确切信息.

A.I see my parents occasionally.
B. I see my parents twice a year.

occasionally这个词的语义有模糊.导致了整个句子的模糊.那么它是模糊限制语还是一般的模糊词呢
模糊限制语与模糊词有什么样的区别呢?

Last edited:
If you look at the semantics of words, most of them are fuzzy. When people like Robin Lakoff use the term hedges, they have specific words/expressions in mind. You are creating this problem for yourself if you want to extend the scope of the term while using the same term that was not intended to cover what you are covering.

Do you mean that if I want to do research on hedges,I only have to analyse these words mentoned by big potatoes as hedges without extension?

回复: 有关hedge的定义

"hedge" is not a well-defined terminology. 动态语法's suggestion was to tell you to focus on the group of words not the strict definition of the term, since the term is too hard to define.

http://lcewww.et.tudelft.nl/~babuska/kr/node18.html
Linguistic Hedges
Fuzzy sets can be used to represent qualitative linguistic terms (notions) like ``short'', ``long'', ``expensive'', etc. in terms of membership functions define in numerical domains (distance, price, etc.). By means of linguistic hedges (linguistic modifiers) the meaning of these terms can be modified without redefining the membership functions. Examples of hedges are: very, slightly, more or less, rather, etc. Hedge ``very'', for instance, can be used to change ``expensive'' to ``very expensive''. Two basic approaches to the implementation of linguistic hedges can be distinguished: powered hedges and shifted hedges. Powered hedges are implemented by functions operating on the membership degrees of the linguistic terms [ZimmermannZimmermannZimmermann, H.-J.1996]. For instance, the hedge very squares the membership degrees of the term which meaning it modifies, i.e., 123#123. Shifted hedges [LakoffLakoffLakoff, G.1973], on the other hand, shift the membership functions along their domains. Combinations of the two approaches have been proposed as well [NovákNovákNovák, V.1989,NovákNovákNovák, V.1996].

模糊限制语:http://www.cpra.com.cn/Article/ArticleShow.asp?ArticleID=255

(A)变动型:a. 程度变动语 (如:sort of , somewhat, really, almost, quite, entirely, a little bit, some)

b. 范围变动语 (如: approximately, essentially, about, something between X and Y)

(B)缓和型:a. 直接缓和语(如: I think, probably, as far as I can tell, seem, wonder, hard to say)

b. 间接缓和语 (如:according to her estimates, presumably, (sb.) says that…)

近期对模糊限制语的研究非常感兴趣,想请问您通过语料库驱动的方式研究可行吗?
以往的研究比较多的都是确定了一组模糊限制语,放入语料库中检索出搭配或者patterns

Back
顶部