A critique of the concept of semantic prosody

xiaoz

永远的超级管理员
Staff member
I do not agee to all that is said in this paper, but this is an interesting read which can provoke good discussions -

A critique of the concept of semantic prosody

Sam Whitsitt
Università di Bologna a Forlì, Italy

International Journal of Corpus Linguistics 10:3 (2005), 293-305.

The concept of semantic prosody was introduced to the public by Bill Louw in 1993, and has become one of the more important concepts in corpus linguistics. However, while other concepts such as collocation, colligation and semantic preference are relatively unproblematic, one cannot say the same for semantic prosody. At present, it is defined in at least three, distinctly different ways, and more significantly, these differences remain largely undiscussed. This article offers a detailed analysis of Louw’s concept of semantic prosody (in Sections 1 through 3), and hopes to demonstrate that the concept and the arguments for it are unconvincing. Concluding the article (Sections 4 and 5) is a brief reflection on the paradox created by Louw’s use of metaphor in his definition of semantic prosody.

Keywords: collocation, connotation, corpus linguistics, metaphor, priming

附件

• A critique of the concept of semantic prosody.pdf
    294.6 KB · 浏览: 537
回复: A critique of the concept of semantic prosody

Thanks, Dr. Xiao. You're always so kind and helpful.

wow, that is what i am looking for. thanks a lot!

My teacher introduced me this website. It opens a great world to me and offers me a lot of help.

I do not agee to all that is said in this paper, but this is an interesting read which can provoke good discussions -:eek::eek:

Back
顶部