AntWordProfiler = Paul Nation's Range program

回复: AntWordProfiler = Paul Nation's Range program

AntWordProfiler, a new software by Laurence Anthony, who is also the author of AntConc.

AntWordProfiler 1.100
A freeware word profiling program for Windows aka Paul Nation's Range program. (Help information is embedded in software)

Download:
AntWordProfiler1.100w
http://www.antlab.sci.waseda.ac.jp/software/antwordprofiler1.100w.exe

More info at:
http://www.antlab.sci.waseda.ac.jp/software.html

这位老兄多产啊,而且也非常慷慨,将自己的软件免费让我们用,要不我们不全都成了语料库“软件奴”了。

这位老兄多产啊,而且也非常慷慨,将自己的软件免费让我们用,要不我们不全都成了语料库“软件奴”了。

Oscar 在浙江啊?Laurence 今天告诉我他最近升职成早稻田大学科技英语系的主任了,而且他决定参加9月在浙江大学举办的会议(http://www.corpus4u.org/showthread.php?p=22927),别忘了到时候当面向他致谢。

在我的电脑上无法使用。同样的问题在最早一个版本上就存在,后来改过的第二版好了。在这次最新简化后的版本又不能用了。

Oscar 在浙江啊?Laurence 今天告诉我他最近升职成早稻田大学科技英语系的主任了,而且他决定参加9月在浙江大学举办的会议(http://www.corpus4u.org/showthread.php?p=22927),别忘了到时候当面向他致谢。

有时候想想,Laurence对几款软件的开发投入和升级也不少,按道理他也可以收点注册费什么的,但人家就是风格高,不能不让人佩服。
呵呵,要致谢的不只是Laurence,希望同时能有机会向laohong,Xiaoz等几位大侠致谢。问题是,给学生在指导论文,自己却写不出论文出来。没有论文能参加会议不?

在我的电脑上无法使用。同样的问题在最早一个版本上就存在,后来改过的第二版好了。在这次最新简化后的版本又不能用了。

Caused by a dll conflict. Laurence is looking into the problem.

Thanks, laohong. This version works. The UI is a lot simpler than the earlier releases.

After a quick test, I find that AntWordProfiler is not only simpler in UI but simpler in its result display. At the moment, I'd still go back to Range.

The only highlight of AntWordProfiler is the color coding of level list words.

Hi All,

These are what I see as the advantages of AntWordProfiler over Range:

1) The results display is exactly the same as Range. All information given in the results of Range appear in AntWordProfiler. This was a specific design choice. The results are not simplified in any way. In fact, there is even a save option to save the Results in the Range results format.
2) The results can also be saved in a much more friendly tabbed spaced format that allows them to be exported directly to Excel
3) The program can use any number of baseword lists, not just the default three supplied in Range.
4) AntWordProfiler uses a much intuitive approach, whereby you load in files, generate results, and then save them. Range asked you to "Save" a file first, and then create the results that are appended to the "Saved" file.
5) All settings in AntWordProfiler can be saved, imported, and exported. This is not possible in Range.
6) The whole user experience is much nice in AntWordProfiler. No help is needed. Range has a very unusual design which will confuse novice users.
7) AntWordProfiler can highlight level list words per target file, and also allows the target file to be edit (e.g. simplified)

回复: Re: AntWordProfiler = Paul Nation's Range program

1) The results display is exactly the same as Range. All information given in the results of Range appear in AntWordProfiler. This was a specific design choice. The results are not simplified in any way. In fact, there is even a save option to save the Results in the Range results format.

--Range can do batch processing and individual text processing, while AWP can't.
--Range displays the individual word/type/family distribution across texts, while AWP can't.

2) The results can also be saved in a much more friendly tabbed spaced format that allows them to be exported directly to Excel
--You can work with Range result files similarly.

3) The program can use any number of baseword lists, not just the default three supplied in Range.
--Modify "3" to whatever number you wish to allow for more wordlists in Range.

4) AntWordProfiler uses a much intuitive approach, whereby you load in files, generate results, and then save them. Range asked you to "Save" a file first, and then create the results that are appended to the "Saved" file.
5) All settings in AntWordProfiler can be saved, imported, and exported. This is not possible in Range.
6) The whole user experience is much nice in AntWordProfiler. No help is needed. Range has a very unusual design which will confuse novice users.
7) AntWordProfiler can highlight level list words per target file, and also allows the target file to be edit (e.g. simplified)
--I like this feature too.

Hi All,

LAntony=Larence Anthony? I'm just guessing

LAntony=Larence Anthony? I'm just guessing

Yes, he is a VIP here now. I introduced him here yesterday, but he figured out how to post by himself. The English interface of this forum is not English completely anyway.

Hi All,

--Range can do batch processing and individual text processing, while AWP can't.
--Range displays the individual word/type/family distribution across texts, while AWP can't.

This is a good point. I haven't implemented the individual processing yet.

Not quite. If you copy the results of Range to Excel, some things are tabbed spaced and others are just spaced. Also, AWP can produce results in columns, e.g. Column 1: 1000 level, Column 2: 2000 level and so on.

True, but then you have to be careful with filenames and what you put in the folder.

Thank you.

This is a good point. I haven't implemented the individual processing yet.

--Paul Nation's programme was originally called Nation and later Range, which was actually meant to capture the cross-text distribution of lexis. The distributional stats are useful in examining the variation across multiple texts.

Earlier versions of Range can only allow 32 text files to be loaded. As I can remember later releases are able to take more.

Not quite. If you copy the results of Range to Excel, some things are tabbed spaced and others are just spaced. Also, AWP can produce results in columns, e.g. Column 1: 1000 level, Column 2: 2000 level and so on.

--You are right. I did some search-and-replace with the result texts. I would definitely love to have tab-delimited result files. Thank you for making that possible.

True, but then you have to be careful with filenames and what you put in the folder.

--Yes. Thanks for making the "intuitive" operation. The Save option is weird and apparently unnecessary from a user's point of view.

Thank you.[/QUOTE]

--Yes. Thanks for making the "intuitive" operation. The Save option is weird and apparently unnecessary from a user's point of view.

Actually, in Range the "Saved" file is essential because results are saved directly into the file. To see the results you have to open the 'saved' file directly.
In AWP, a set of 'quick' results are displayed immediately in the right window. Then, a specially formatted version of the results can be saved in various formats. Currently only tabbed space and Range formatted versions are available. However, it is simple to add other formats, e.g. Excel, HTML, XML, and so on.

Range features.

As you can see, Range has a BatchFiles option, which enables the merging of results from individual files loaded. If that box unchecked, users can have multiple Range result files, which is also useful, for instance, if we want to see individual students' lexical performance.

附件

• Range_features.jpg
    Range_features.jpg
    49 KB · 浏览: 3
AWP has the Ignore '<>' as a Tag settings menu option. Later, I will expand this to cover all tag handling offered in AntConc.

AWP cannot handle stop words. Does anybody use stop lists in this type of program? Isn't the whole point to find which words in the level lists file appear or do not appear in the target texts. If you think it is useful, I can add the feature.

AWP does not have the Mark Texts feature. Good point. Can you remind me what this feature is for?

A bigger problem is that AWP cannot sort the results (yet).

As I said before, more baseword lists can be used with Range, but the filenames have to correspond to the original baseword filename format. In other words, you cannot use your own filenames to label the level lists.

AWP has the Ignore '<>' as a Tag settings menu option. Later, I will expand this to cover all tag handling offered in AntConc.

--That'll be lovely.

AWP cannot handle stop words. Does anybody use stop lists in this type of program? Isn't the whole point to find which words in the level lists file appear or do not appear in the target texts. If you think it is useful, I can add the feature.

--If that's very difficult to implement, could you please add stoplisting function?
--A stop list is often used to screen out the function words when we are only interested in lexical words in the texts. You can hide this in GlobalSettings menu instead of show it on the initial UI.

AWP does not have the Mark Texts feature. Good point. Can you remind me what this feature is for?

--If Mark Texts is enabled, an additional text will be generated, with all word that fall in the first 1000 words (1st wordlist) unmarked, adding {2} to all 2nd 1000 word (2nd word list) tokens, {3} to all Academic word (3rd word list) tokens. And the rest will be marked with a {!} meaning that they are off the three lists.

A bigger problem is that AWP cannot sort the results (yet).

As I said before, more baseword lists can be used with Range, but the filenames have to correspond to the original baseword filename format. In other words, you cannot use your own filenames to label the level lists.

--Yes. This is good.

Back
顶部