BAWE (British Academic Written English) VS. CLEC

:confused::confused:BAWE (British Academic Written English) VS. [FONT=宋体]CLEC[/FONT]
[FONT=宋体] [/FONT]
The problem is that the two corpora are not matched for genre.
[FONT=宋体]CLEC is a collection of compositions written by Chinese EFL learners on various topics, while BAWE[FONT=宋体] comprises assignments from students in a variety of disciplines in three UK universities. What can I do with BAWE? How can I resort BAWE and make the 2 compatible? [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=宋体]BTW, I’m doing a PhD study. The native speaker corpus selection is vital to the study. I appreciate your advice. Thank you.[/FONT]

Actually, I'm using the BAWE as a comparison with the SWECCL, and only select some essays in the field of Arts and Humanities and Social Sciences by the native speakers. It is better if you have other materials available, such as LOCNESS. As all the corpora excerpt it is unaccessible to me, i have no other choice but use it to compare in terms of collocation. during the process, the results contains the academic sound combinations, but it does not effect the general tendency. I'm not sure whether it will pose a serious problem to my thesis or not either. but it's best I can do now.

回复: BAWE (British Academic Written English) VS. CLEC

I don't think BAWE and CLEC are comparable corpora. For one thing, CLEC can't be justifiably called "academic" English. Most of the students' essays are rather casual.

Since no systmatic and considerable English corpus are available in China for the moment, I think CLEC will make do as a comparable one with BAWEC.

回复: BAWE (British Academic Written English) VS. CLEC

:confused::confused:BAWE (British Academic Written English) VS. [FONT=宋体]CLEC[/FONT]

The problem is that the two corpora are not matched for genre.
[FONT=宋体]CLEC is a collection of compositions written by Chinese EFL learners on various topics, while BAWE[FONT=宋体] comprises assignments from students in a variety of disciplines in three UK universities. What can I do with BAWE? How can I resort BAWE and make the 2 compatible? [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=宋体]BTW, I’m doing a PhD study. The native speaker corpus selection is vital to the study. I appreciate your advice. Thank you.[/FONT]

Tribble(1997:3)
?My own view is that the most useful corpus for learners of English is the one which offers a collection of expert performances(Bazerman1994:131) in genres which have relevance to the needs and interests of the learners. Collections of relevant expert performances will exemplify the results of the desired forms of language behaviour that learners are trying to achieve.

Again, we would challenge that assumption, and would instead argue that a better set of control data would be provided by a corpus of published academic writing in English. The target normin academic writing, for both ‘native’ and ‘non-native’ students is better defined as academic
writing itself, and the best texts for comparison are clearly those already
published in international English-language academic journals.

interlamgage VS. Target language (Do you think so?)

Back
顶部