Discourse marker revisited

清风出袖

高级会员
Many researchers in China are using discourse markers as a broad concept to include linguistic structures like adjuncts, disjuncts, sentence/logical connectives, meta-pragmatic expressions etc. Additionally, they neglected the discourse marker use in speech (as I see it, one of the most important home slots of DMs), like oh, well, y’know, I mean, yeah (part-time DM), etc

Though there is much terminological confusion about the term, we do have some shared knowledge in terms of discourse marker in international linguistics discussion.

http://www.corpus4u.org/upload/forum/2005081811335376.doc

Xu Jiajin

如果要对这个概念有一个较好的了解,以下是我认为应当读的一些重要文献。只有discourse marker的相关研究有了相当的认识之后才不致于将各种语言形式混为一谈。我这里希望提请大家注意的一点是要明确“话语标记”是一个话语概念不是句法概念。
Abraham, Werner (ed.). 1991. Discourse Particles: Descriptive and Theoretical Investigations on the Logical, Syntactic and Pragmatic Properties of Discourse Particles in German. Amsterdam: John Benjamins Publishing Company.
Aijmer, Karin. 2002. English Discourse Particles: Evidence from a Corpus. Philadelphia: John Benjamins Publishing Company.
Andersen, Gisle and Thorstein Fretheim (eds.). 2000. Pragmatic Markers and Propositional Attitude. Amsterdam and Philadelphia: John Benjamins Publishing Company.
Andersen, Gisle. 2001. Pragmatic Markers and Sociolinguistic Variation: A Relevance-theoretic Approach to the Language of Adolescents. Amsterdam and Philadelphia: John Benjamins Publishing Company.
Archakis, Argiris. 2001. On discourse markers: Evidence from modern Greek. Journal of Pragmatics 33: 1235-1261.
Biq, Yung-O. 1990. Conversation, continuation, and connectives. Text 10: 187-208.
Blakemore, Diane. 1987. Semantic Constraints on Relevance. Oxford: Blackwell.
Blakemore, Diane. 1992. Understanding Utterances: An Introduction to Pragmatics. Oxford: Blackwell.
Blakemore, Diane. 2002. Relevance and Meaning: The Semantics and Pragmatics of Discourse Markers. New York: Cambridge University Press.
Brinton, Laurel. 1996. Pragmatic Markers in English: Grammaticalization and Discourse Functions. Berlin and New York: Mouton de Gruyter.
Chen, Yiya and Agnes Weiyun He. 2001. Dui bu dui as a pragmatic marker: Evidence from Chinese classroom discourse. Journal of Pragmatics 33: 1441-1465.
Couper-Kuhlen, Elizabeth and Bernd Kortmann (eds.). 2000. Cause-Condition -Concession-Contrast: Cognitive and Discourse Perspectives. Berlin and New York: Mouton de Gruyter.
Evans, Ronald and Collin Ballance. 2001. A comparison of sentence connective recall by two populations of readers. Journal of Educational Research 73: 324-329.
Fischer, Kerstin. 2000. From Cognitive Semantics to Lexical Pragmatics: The Functional Polysemy of Discourse Particles. Berlin and New York: Mouton de Gruyter.
Ford, Cecilia. 1993. Grammar in Interaction: Adverbial Clauses in American English Conversations. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Fraser, Bruce. 1999. What are discourse markers? Journal of Pragmatics 31: 931-952.
Givón, Talmy. 1983. Topic continuity in discourse: An introduction. In Talmy Givón. (ed.). Topic Continuity in Discourse: A Quantitative Cross-language Study (pp. 1-41). Amsterdam and Philadelphia: John Benjamins Publishing Company..
Halliday, Michael and Ruqaiya Hasan. 1976. Cohesion in English. London: Longman.
Hansen, Maj-Britt Mosegaard. 1998a. The Function of Discourse Particles: A Study with Special Reference to Spoken Standard French. Amsterdam and Philadelphia: John Benjamins Publishing Company.
Hansen, Maj-Britt Mosegaard. 1998b. The semantic status of discourse markers. Lingua 104: 235-260.
Heritage, John. 1984. A change-of-state token and aspects of its sequential placement. In Maxwell Atkinson and John Heritage (eds.). Structures of Social Action: Studies in Conversation Analysis (pp: 299-345). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Jucker, Andreas and Yael Ziv (eds.). 1998. Discourse Markers: Descriptions and Theory. Amsterdam and Philadelphia: John Benjamins Publishing Company.
Jucker, Andreas. 1993. The discourse marker well: A relevance-theoretic account. Journal of Pragmatics 19: 435-452.
Louwerse, Max and Heather Hite Mitchell. 2003. Toward a taxonomy of a set of discourse markers in dialog: A theoretical and computational linguistic account. Discourse Processes 35: 199-239.
Maschler, Yael. 1998. Rotsè lishmoa kéta? ‘wanna hear something weird/funny [lit. ‘a segment’]’: The discourse markers segmenting israeli hebrew talk-in-interaction. In Andreas Jucker and Yael Ziv (eds.). 1998. Discourse Markers: Descriptions and Theory (pp. 13-59). Amsterdam and Philadelphia: John Benjamins Publishing Company.
Miracle, Charles. 1991. Discourse Markers in Mandarin Chinese. Unpublished Ph.D. dissertation. Ohio State University.
Schiffrin, Deborah. 1985. Conversational coherence: The role of well. Language 61: 640-667.
Schiffrin, Deborah. 1987. Discourse Markers. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Schourup, Lawrence. 1999. Discourse markers. Lingua 107: 227-265.
Schourup, Lawrence. 2001. Rethinking well. Journal of Pragmatics 33: 1025-1060.
Swerts, Marc. 1998. Filled pauses as markers of discourse structure. Journal of Pragmatics 30: 485-496.
Tao, Hongyin. 1999. The grammar of demonstratives in Mandarin conversational discourse: A case study. Journal of Chinese Linguistics 27: 69-103.
Traugott, Elizabeth. 1995. The role of the development of discourse markers: In a theory of grammaticalization. Paper presented at ICHL XII, Manchester.
Wang, Yu-Fang. 2002. The preferred information sequences of adverbial linking in mandarin Chinese discourse. Text 22: 141-172.
陈新仁,2002,从话语标记语看首词重复的含意解读,《解放军外国语学院学报》第3期。
方 梅,2000,自然口语中弱化连词的话语标记功能,《中国语文》第5期。
方 梅,2002,指示词这和那在北京话中的语法化,《中国语文》第4期。
方 梅,2003,口语语法研究的动态视角:描写与解释,北京语言大学对外汉语研究中心学术报告。
冯光武,2004,汉语语用标记的语义、语用分析,《现代外语》第1期。
高增霞,2004a,自然口语中的话语标记“回头”,《中国社会科学院研究生院学报》第1期。
高增霞,2004b,自然口语中的话语标记“完了”,《语文研究》第4期。
郭志良,1999,《现代汉语转折词语研究》,北京:北京语言文化大学出版社。
何自然、冉永平,1999,话语联系语的语用制约性,《外语教学与研究》第3期。
何自然、冉永平,2000,话语联系语的语用解释力,《外语教学与研究》第1期。
黄大网,2001,话语标记研究综述,《福建外语》第1期。
梁敬美,2002,“这-”、“那-”的语用与话语功能研究,中国社会科学院研究生院博士论文。
廖秋忠,1986,现代汉语篇章中的连接成分,《中国语文》第6期。
廖秋忠,1987,篇章中的管界问题,《中国语文》第4期。
刘君芳,2003,国语“这样(子)”的言谈功能与语法化研究,台湾师范大学英语学系硕士论文。
冉永平,2000,The Pragmatics of Discourse Markers in Conversation,广东外语外贸大学博士论文。
冉永平,2003,话语标记语well的语用功能,《外国语》第3期。
冉永平,2004,言语交际中“吧”的语用功能及其语境顺应性特征,《现代外语》第4期。
王 红、葛云峰,2004,谈话者角色及相互关系对话语标记语使用影响的语用分析,《山东农业大学学报(社会科学版)》第4期。
熊子瑜,2004,“啊”的韵律特征及其话语交际功能,《当代语言学》第2期。
于国栋、吴亚欣,2003,话语标记语的顺应性解释,《解放军外国语学院学报》第1期。

2005091619281089.jpg

This is Schiffrin's classic operational definition to discourse marker, which has been criticized by many scholars. And I will come to this later. I am putting this here for those who do not have the book.

Reference the book as:
Schiffrin, Deborah. 1987. Discourse Markers. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

回复:Discourse marker revisited

Mr. Xu, can I ask you which aspects of discourse markers are you interested in? English discourse markers or Chinese discourse markers or both? It is really a tricky issue.

My present research is on DMs in spoken Chinese.

I have read major important books and papers written in English about English DMs, Chinese DMs and those of other languages.

Alas, quite comprehensive. you are great. Among the many theories of dms, I am really confused about which is the best. Ran Yongping has combined RT and adaptation theory. I think it is quite OK.

RT and adaptation theory are only limited to a few researchers.
RT: presented by Diane Blakemore and some others in UCL and also Andreas Jucker and some of sutdents and his German colleagues. Yes, some North European scholars also stick to RT (eg. Gisle Andersen).

Adaptation Theory is basically from Jef Verschueren.

Ran and his supervisor Prof. He are among the earliest who introduce studies on English DMs to Chinese linguistics circle. However, we have to be consciously aware that RT and Adaptation Theory are certainly not representative of the whole picture of the state of the art of DM research.

The above list can be a good start to know what has been done and is going on in the field.

I will prepare a more comprehensive list of the related literature later on.

Many papers written in Chinese dealing with DMs are authored by Ran, He, Chen Xinren, Yu Guodong et al.

Some of you may find that those scholars have something in common.

Again, my suggestion: do not limit yourselves to those introductory papers and books; READ IN THE ORIGINAL.

很偶然,发现了这个网站。非常高兴。我也对DM感兴趣。我原来是英语专业的,现在想做汉语的DM研究。我想请教许先生,您是如何话语标记语、语义标记语和语用标记语下定义的呢?

在讨论汉语话语标记研究之前,我们首先需要澄清汉语中哪些可以归为话语标记,哪些不能归为话语标记?按照我的界定标准,诸如冯光武(2004)所列的“我想说的是”、“我警告你”等只能算作一种元话语表达而非话语标记,因为这些标记本身具有较强的概念意义。如若将他们去除,则明显有损于话语的整体命题意义。另外,汉语研究中较多提及的“句末语气词”,如,Li and Thompson(1981)和石毓智、李讷(2001)的“了”,Lee-Wong(1998)的“吧”、“啊 ”、“呀”、“呢”,Wu(2000)的“啊 ”和“哦 ”,冉永平(2004)的“吧”虽然在情态表达方面作用显著但也不属于我们这里所讨论的话语标记,因为它们在话语中位置固定,应当归为句末黏着语素。

是的,一定要对“啊”、“吧”的不同用法分别加以讨论才对。
但有一点是明确的,“吧”一定不会用于句首,也不会用作一个独立的lexical item位于句中,只会附着于句子或小句末尾。

是的,冉永平、于国栋等都是何自然老师的弟子。关注点是关联和顺应。不过何老师对meme产生了浓厚的兴趣。他的博士生现在试图研究汉语中的meme现象。不过,正如blakemore所说,要么meme发展成为一个很深的理论,要么只是一个隐喻的说法而已。

thank you, Mr Xu. i am currently doing some research on english DM "well". and your list is very helpful to me. but i have a question, how do you find some of those original books and papers, like those of Heritage? you know, i am still a student, i find it very difficult and even impossilbe to get the original books especially the papers.

以下是引用 mayer1232006-6-18 12:37:40 的发言:
what about" however" in english, can it be called a discourse marker?

"However" can be a discourse marker but not a most prototypical one, as I see it.

NB: "however" in "however hard I tried" is not a DM.

It is due to the promotion of scholars in Guangwai, but the two theories are definitely NOT as popolar in the West.

Back
顶部