[求助]genre和register的区别

cnu

初级会员
最近看有关academic discourse的文献, 其中提到genre和register两个概念, 我查了一些语言学的书, 但仍然觉得自己理解的不够清楚, 请大家帮忙看看. 能否比较清楚地解释一下这两个概念. 谢谢啦!!!

if you have a copy of longman dictioanry of language teaching & applied linguistics avialable from FLTRP, on the p.195 and p.392 respctively you will find detailed expalantion of the two terms! good luck!

But very often they are used interchangeably.

There are some scholars investigate genre in the model of language (Jim Martin, R. Hansan-Hallidayan tradition) and genre as a socio-cognitive entity (John Swales and V. Bhatia).

In adademic discourse studies, especially for written communication, what you can find most is the Swalesian tradition.

Register, genre, text type, text category---

Text category is neutral concept. Biber refers to situationally (using text-external criteria irrespective of the distribution of linguistic features) defined text categories as genres or registers, and linguistically (taking into account the distribution of linguistic features) defined text categories as text types, though these terms are typically used interchangeably in the literature.

Thanks a lot for the clarification of the two concepts. Dr. Xu and xiaoz's explanation also give me some new ideas about the two concepts.

But here, I also ask for some help from all of you. At present I am struggling to find a topic for my coming thesis. I am interested in corpus-based academic discourse analysis, espcially written ones, from the perspective of linguistic features. Could you give me some suggestions or do you have some ideas? Thanks a lot.

You may the three refereed journals useful if you have the online access to sciencedirect/elsevier and EBSCO databases at all.

English for Specific Pursposes
English for Academic Pursposes
Written Communication

City U of Hong Kong and Michigan U are two institutions well-known for academic discourse research (Ken Hyland, V. Bhatia, Amy Tsui, Flowerdew, Joseph Hung, John Swales, Rita Simpson et al).

很感谢Dr. Xu. 不幸的是我没有权限进入EBSCO databases, 在国图中也只能找到Written Communication, 没查到另外两种期刊.

English for Specific Pursposes
English for Academic Pursposes
这两种在Elsevier数据库里,很多高校都有的,你可以托同学帮你查查。

Back
顶部