Xaira: a review

SARA is bundled with the BNC but Xaira can be used to explore any corpora;
SARA is SGML-aware but Xaira is XML-aware;
SARA is not unicode compliant but Xaira is;

WordSmith can extract keywords but Xaira cannot;
WordSmith cost money but Xaira does not;
WordSmith is not truly XML-aware but Xaira is;
WordSmith cannot search for XML markup (not the marked up contents) but Xaira can;
WordSmith 4 and Xaira are both Unicode compliant anc can be used with any language.

Dr. Xiao,
I want to use xaira to investigate the collocation of ‘有点’as an adverb and retrieve the concordance from LCMC as well. I used the Addkey query. According to the Help menu, “ Having either entered a word or ticked Any, press REFRESH. This brings up a list of all the relevant Addkey values in the main display area in the middle of the dialog box.” I typed in ‘有点’and press REFRESH, but nothing appeared in dialog box. Then I tried some other words, yet the same results. When I ticked Any, no problems. Any solutions? Thank you!

Another problem: Yesterday I used phrase query and got a list of concordance line of “有点”,but today only one sentence. I clicked the Page/Line mode. It’s useless. What might be wrong?
My exploration of LCMC with xaira ended up with a warning message popping up" An invalid argument was encountered" .

回复:Xaira: a review

Xaira is under active development and the help files are incomplete and sometime apply to earlier releases. They can become unhelpful sometimes.

Addkey queries are useful when you want to extract all words of a certain class, e.g. all nouns tagged as n. You can, though, use it to search a word of particular class. For example, 了 in Chinese has different usages. If you only want to extract 了 tagged as u, you can check "Any" and "Refresh", select u, then type in 了 in the upper text box, uncheck "Any" and press OK. 了 tagged as y or any others will bnot be incldued. Still, for single word search, Word query and Query builders are more useful.

In Word query, type in 有点, select the tag in the lower box (in this case only one tag d is available).

Related to this query is the query of two words 有 点儿., which can be searched using Query builder and define the link type as "Next".

以下是引用 desperate2005-11-1 21:11:15 的发言:
Dr. Xiao,
I want to use xaira to investigate the collocation of ‘有点’as an adverb and retrieve the concordance from LCMC as well. I used the Addkey query. According to the Help menu, “ Having either entered a word or ticked Any, press REFRESH. This brings up a list of all the relevant Addkey values in the main display area in the middle of the dialog box.” I typed in ‘有点’and press REFRESH, but nothing appeared in dialog box. Then I tried some other words, yet the same results. When I ticked Any, no problems. Any solutions? Thank you!

回复:Xaira: a review

Phrase query actually treats every and each Chinese character as a word, because Xaira follows the Unicode tokenisation rules (see my review). So searching for 有点 actually returns 有 点. There is only one hit in this case. So there is not much difference for Line/Page mode in this case.

There are 97 instances of 有点 and 7 instances of 有 点儿 in LCMC.

以下是引用 desperate2005-11-1 21:34:32 的发言:
Another problem: Yesterday I used phrase query and got a list of concordance line of “有点”,but today only one sentence. I clicked the Page/Line mode. It’s useless. What might be wrong?
My exploration of LCMC with xaira ended up with a warning message popping up" An invalid argument was encountered" .

hrh
Yes, I’ve got it correct. Thank you very much.But in the case of ‘有点’, the results are the same. The word is not part-ofCspeech sensitive. All of them are tagged ‘d’.But actually ‘有点儿’can be used in the pattern of verb+quantity, like 碗里有点儿水\这幅漫画倒有点儿意思。
Does xaira have fuzzy search function? And when I type in‘有点’, examples with‘有点儿’will come out as well?English can be sensitive to lemmatization, how about chinese?We don‘t have strict morphology. But ‘儿’化音 is not a single case.
By the way, You mention above that “In Word query, type in 有点, select the tag in the lower box (in this case only one tag d is available).” Which version of Xaira are you using. I’m using Xaira Release 110. I can’t find anything related to tags in my word query window.

1) The POS tagger I have used may have tagged all instances of 有点 as d. You will need to evaluate concordances by hand if you want a precise count of the relevant use.
The tagger also treated 有点儿 as two words: 有 and 点儿 instead of one. You can search for 有点 and 点儿 uisng Query builder, joining the two query notes in the horizontal direction ('OR'). Then you can select and remove irrelevant lines and compute collocations. There are not many concordances for the two: only 120 in LCMC and 704 in a 1 million word spoken corpus with a large proportion of the Beijing dialect. So it should not be too hard for manual evaluation.

If you do not see tags in word query, check the box for "form"; you can also check "control" to have more options.

Dr. Xiao, Thank you for your explanation of the use of xaira. I tried it but could not get the same results as you’ve done. I post the snapshots as follows. Would you please tell me what went wrong in my query? Thank you in advance.
1.Tags in word query: I clicked both “form” and “control” , but couldn’t find the tags. See the snapshots.

a2005110522042089.jpg

2. The query of “有点” and “有点儿”through query builder: I typed in the two words in content nodes square, then clicked OK. The result is only one concordance line. In addition it seems that the word query in query builder doesn’t work.
a2005110522111651.jpg

3. The saved query results can not be retrieved. When I clicked on the saved file, words “waiting to connect server” popped up as follows.
a2005110522120364.jpg

In 1) above, after you press "lookup", you will see a list of words beginning with the characters you have entered. Then select one of them in the list, its tag(s) will appear in the lower box.

In 2) you were actually using Phrase query, not word query.

In 3) the interface shows your xaira is very old, and you should upgrade to 116.

In your previous post of HOW TO USE XAIRA STEP BY STEP , you said "I believe you have downloaded the wrong version of Xaira. You have got the latest release 1.14 while this version of LCMC requires Xaira 1.10, 1.11, 1.12, or 1.13. " My question is "is the new version 1.16 can be used to expore lcmc.xcorpus?"

you will have to download the lcmc version indexed for xaira 115/116 to use Xaira 116. It is available now. there is also a version of LCMC for 110-114.

ok, I could explore LCMC with new version of xaira now. But the three problems I mentioned above are still not solved yet. I’m sorry to bother you with such trivial technical things. Dr. Xiao. But I simply could not find anyone for advice. Does anyone else like to experiment with xaira? Please join us.
Question 1: same problem.
Question 2: would you please look at my screenshot above and check my content nodes? (“有点” OR “点儿”). I got no solutions.
As to question 3, a dialogue box popped up asking me to choose the right program to open the file. How could I open the .sqy file?

3) above suggests your copy of Xaira is not properly installed. Please uninstall the old version completeltely using Add/Remove programs and install 116.

thank you! i'll try later. By the way, where could I find the tagsets for Flob? Are they same with those of BNC. I typed in the tagsets of BNC in the FLob web concordancer. Some worked, some failed. I typed in "fully", words like "carefully, hopefully" come out. Too many solutions. But what i want is "fully" as a word. Can this problem be solved in online search?

Back
顶部