LOCNESS corpus: US-UK students" writing

回复:LOCNESS corpus

is this corpus really freely available?
I emailed them a month ago, but still no reply has come.

以下是引用 刘语料2005-8-11 15:56:38 的发言:
在国内何处可以搞到这个语料库?有意者请同我联系。

也请同我联系,可以交换resourses。

The link above only gives a description of the corpus.
The corpus was never there for downloading.

以下是引用 xiaoz2005-8-11 20:58:06 的发言:
The link above only gives a description of the corpus.
The corpus was never there for downloading.

I C. thanx.

以下是引用 xiaoz2005-6-15 3:14:30 的发言:
LOCNESS: Louvain Corpus of Native English Essays

Use this corpus to compare English produced by foreign learners of English (e.g. ICLE, Longman Learners Corpus, and CLEC) and by native speaker students.

《中国英语专业学生make 的使用特点调查报告》一文(解放军外国语学院学报,2002年第4期)当中将LOCNESS 作为与英语专业四、八级统测作文子语料库相对照的操母语者语料库。这样做行吗?
我想问的问题是:与LOCNESS相对照的到底是CLEC全部语料库呢,还是只能与专业英语语料库对照?

LOCNESS is composed of writings by senior high schools students and junior university students in the UK and US, so it should be comparable to the CLEC in student ages. Data produced by TEM-4/8 students and non-English majors in China are both learner data.

Without more suitable dataset, TEM-4/8 corpus can be compared with LOCNESS. I have even found people comparing CLEC with LOB and Brown!

以下是引用 xiaoz2005-9-9 21:10:34 的发言:
LOCNESS is composed of writings by senior high schools students and junior university students in the UK and US, so it should be comparable to the CLEC in student ages. Data produced by TEM-4/8 students and non-English majors in China are both learner data.

Without more suitable dataset, TEM-4/8 corpus can be compared with LOCNESS. I have even found people comparing CLEC with LOB and Brown!

do you mean that LOCNESS can't be compared with middle school students' writings in CLEC , and it''s better be compared with TEM4/8 than COLEC?

以下是引用 xiaoz2005-9-9 21:10:34 的发言:

Dr. Xiao, i have read your post. but i still don't quite understand. my thesis tries to find out if Chinese students are overusing or underusing the present perfect in their writings. Can i compare LOCNESS with the full CLEC or TEM4/8 subcorpus only? what can i do to make my study more representative of Chinese students? if i choose only TEM4/8, then how about the middle school students and non-english majors? very confused. look forward to your reply!

As I said, LOCNESS consists of data from both high school and university students while both English and non-English major writings are learner data. So you should compare the whole CLEC corpus with LOCNESS. But normalise raw frequencies in your comparison as the two corpora are of different sizes.

LOCNESS is a learner corpus. does it mean that students' english is not completely correct, i.e. there are some mistakes in it?

[本贴已被 作者 于 2005年10月02日 19时05分20秒 编辑过]

Can we say Chinese students' Chinese compositions are not native Chinese?

LOCNESS is not a learner corpus as learner corpora in most cases refer to L2 learners' linguistic output.

回复:LOCNESS corpus: US-UK students" writing

以下是引用 xujiajin2005-10-2 18:40:02 的发言:
Can we say Chinese students' Chinese compositions are not native Chinese?

LOCNESS is not a learner corpus as learner corpora in most cases refer to L2 learners' linguistic output.

yes, you are right, Dr.Xu. LOCNESS is a native corpus instead. what is the difference between BNC and LOCNESS. i think they are different. English in BNC was revised or edited. for example, some english was quoted from the newspaper or literary masterpieces. whereas, LOCNESS is composed of writings of students in which they may commit many errors. what do you say about that?

LOCNESS and CLEC are comparable corpora.

Comparative studies can be done with the two databases, while BNC is for general purpose linguistic studies.

Slips of pen are possible in LOCNESS, but this will not affect the nativeness of the corpus in general.

LOCNESS is what I call L1 "developmental corpus", as opposed to L2 learner corpus.

回复:LOCNESS corpus: US-UK students" writing

以下是引用 xiaoz2005-10-2 21:39:53 的发言:
LOCNESS is what I call L1 "developmental corpus", as opposed to L2 learner corpus.

i can't agree more. i think such a distinction should be made. so what "learner corpus" we refer to is actually a "L2 learner corpus".

[本贴已被 作者 于 2005年10月03日 16时52分24秒 编辑过]

Back
顶部