asking for help

Hi, Laohong and all the helpful C-pals, how can I use RegExp in antconc to list all the "there be" structures? I tried and it seems that I am stuck with it.By the way, I used Gotagger to make POS tagging.

回复: asking for help

In this case, no need to use RegExp. Existential there is coded as EX.

1. Add _ to token definition, and then search there_EX to exclude adverb theres.
or
2. Check Case box to search all capital EX for existential theres, but this method is less reliable than the first one.

CC Coordinating conjunction
CD Cardinal number
DT Determiner
EX Existential there
FW Foreign word
IN Preposition/subord. conjunction
JJ Adjective
JJR Adjective, comparative
JJS Adjective, superlative
LS List item marker
MD Modal
NN Noun, singular or mass
NNS Noun, plural
NNP Proper noun, singular
NNPS Proper noun, plural
PDT Predeterminer
POS Possessive ending
PRP Personal pronoun
PRP$ Possessive pronoun
RB Adverb
RBR Adverb, comparative
RBS Adverb, superlative
RP Particle
SYM Symbol
TO to
UH Interjection
VB Verb, base form
VBD Verb, past tense
VBG Verb, gerund/present participle
VBN Verb, past participle
VBP Verb, non-3rd ps. sing.
VBZ Verb, 3rd ps. sing. Present
WDT wh-determiner
WP wh-pronoun
WP$ Possessive wh-pronoun
WRB wh-adverb
# Pound sign
$ Dollar sign
. Sentence-final punctuation
, Comma
: Colon, semi-colon
( Left bracket character
) Right bracket character
" Straight double quote
` Left open single quote
" Left open double quote
' Right close single quote
" Right close double quote

the problem is that I don't know how to search the structure in an exhaustive way. "there_VB\s+\w+_VB" seems to work quite well except that "there's or there're" of the same structure are excluded.

Many thx to Dr. Xu. I did try with "there_EX" at first as word search, and found it more comprehensive, of CLEC, around 700 items are located. Of course, as you've carefully pointed out there are some adverb theres. My RegExp search turned out 407 results. that's why I am sceptical about my RegExp.

This RegEXP can satisfactorily solve the problem:

(there_EX\s+\W+\w+_VB)|(there_EX\s+\w+_VB)

Many thx to Dr. Xu. I did try with "there_EX" at first as word search, and found it more comprehensive, of CLEC, around 700 items are located. Of course, as you've carefully pointed out there are some adverb theres. My RegExp search turned out 407 results. that's why I am sceptical about my RegExp.

Why did u bother "(there_EX\s+\W+\w+_VB)|(there_EX\s+\w+_VB)"?

there_EX will do.

You may sadly find that Gotagger wrongly tagged many adverbial theres as EXs. A more specific searching prescription makes the searching results more exclusive and saves the mannual work afterwards. I tried with st6.txt in CLEC.

Back
顶部