Staff member
World Englishes
Volume 24 Issue 4 Page 425 - November 2005
doi:10.1111/j.0883-2919.2005.00424.x
Volume 24 Issue 4

Lexical innovations in China English

Jian Yang*

Abstract:

The literature on China English available seems to focus mostly on the attitudes toward English, the use of English, or the EFL industry in this country. Lexical borrowing as part of nativization has rarely been investigated. This paper presents a databased analysis of 59 borrowed lexical items as found in 84 articles from two English newspapers in China, including both loanwords and loan translations. On the whole these items do not seem to be in widespread use. Additionally, the findings show that the loanwords tend to be culturespecific lexical items, nonce borrowings, and necessary borrowings. The loan translations may be more foreign than they appear, because of the underlying facets of Chinese culture. Also discussed in the paper are two linguistic factors that may decide if a lexical item may be borrowed as a loanword or a loan translation, as well as the existence of pairs and sets of synonymous loanwords and/or loan translations, found among ChineseEnglish bilingual communities in and outside China.

http://www.corpus4u.org/upload/forum/2005112309524237.pdf

Last edited:
回复: Lexical innovations in China English

I need this article,who can help me?
Gao,Liwei (2001) The lexical acculturation of Englishi n the Chinese context. StudiesintheLinguisticsSciences,31,73-88.

请教: 什么是词形还原(e-lemma)文件?
怎么使用?

I need this article,who can help me?
Gao,Liwei (2001) The lexical acculturation of Englishi n the Chinese context. StudiesintheLinguisticsSciences,31,73-88.

Why not contact the author directly?

Dr. Gao, Liwei
Defense Language Institute Foreign Language Center, Asian School I
1600 Kit Carson Rd., Presidio of Monterey, Monterey, CA 93944, USA.
E-mail: lwgao98@yahoo.com

Back
顶部