article concerning corpus and course book design

mayer123

初级会员
i want to go into the issue concerning corpus and course book design, but i haven't found any relevant articles, can anyone who have come across them help me?

Touchstone
http://www.cambridge.org/elt/elt_projectpage.asp?id=2500852
This series of textbooks are said to be based corpus data.

Thanks for your information, I’ve read through the lineament of their design. I couldn’t help admitting that they are clever enough to choose a smart springboard, which enables them to jump beautifully and gracefully, but I was wondering whether there is any ground to support this board in China?
Efforts have been made in China to make sure the materials chosen in course books are authentic and “real” and true to students’ everyday life, but we are constantly let down by a holistic reject from both the teacher and the students. The teacher complains that they are totally lost themselves in such a labyrinth design of materials, while the students gripe that they are not wisely guided and led to a systematic thinking and learning. So new books are turned down again and again, but grammar books with nearly the same thing are editioned one after the other.
Where is our way out?

Some sources. Most of them are books though and i'm not going to do the scanning for you:) I once did a presentation on that, and i can send you a copy if needed.

Ghadessy, M., Henry, A. & Roseberry, R. (Eds.) (2001). Small Corpus Studies and ELT: Theory and practice. Philadelphia: John Benjamins.
Aston, G., Bernardini, S. & Stewart, D. (Eds.) (2004). Corpora and Language Learners. Philadelphia: John Benjamins.
Granger, S., Hung, J. & Petch-Tyson, S. (Eds.) (2002). Computer Learner Corpora, Second Language Acquisition and Foreign Language Teaching. Philadelphia: Benjamins.
Wichmann, A., Fligelstone, S. McEnery, T., & Knowles, G. (Eds.) (1997). Teaching and Language Corpora. NY: Longman.
Aston, G. (Eds.) (2001). Learning with Corpora. Bologna: CLUEB.
Lee, G.S., Choo, J., & Kim, D. H.(2005). A combination of a Computer Learner Corpus based error analysis and CALL. Second Language Research Forum 2005. Columbia University, NY.
Sinclair, J. (Ed.) (2004). How to use corpora in language teaching. [Electronic version]. Philadelphia: John Benjamins.
Willis, D. (2000). The Lexical Approach. March, 3rd, 2006, from http://www.cels.bham.ac.uk/resources/LexSyllabus/intro.pdf

Word fails me to express my thanks:)
I’ll be more than happy if you can email me your presentation, since I cannot link to the page you listed here.
And my mailbox is mayer123321@yahoo.com

:( most of the books you listed here are unavailable in our school library, anyway, I will see if I can find some in the National Library.

I certainly can send it to the gmail account; but i am very very amatuer. The presentation is for a "materials design" course, (not any one i presented in conferences). So please just don't laugh at me if you find it superficial.
At least two of the books are available online. Someone has posted the link before:
http://www.benjamins.com/cgi-bin/t_bookview.cgi?bookid=SCL%2017

Here are some suggested articles from the two books available online:

Small corpus studies and ELT:
Flowerdew "COncordancing as a tool in course design"
Ooi "Investigating and teaching genres using the world wide web"
Ragan "Classroom use of a systemic functional small learner corpus"
All the three articles in Section V: Using parallel corpora as a source of classroom data
Both two articles in Section VI: using learner corpora in ELT

Corpora and language learners
Flowerdew "The problem-solution pattern in apprentice vs. profissional technical writing"
Mauranen "Speech corpora in the classroom"

And you guys cannot retrieve the Willis, D's PDF file? I tried and it works here. I can send the PDF if necessary.

回复:does anyone have any article concerning~~

I do want to add, though, most of those articles are related to course materials but not necessary the design of a whole textbook, except for Willis and Flowerdew, i guess.
I have read the Touchstone series. Frankly it doesn't seem too different with other textbooks to me. Maybe they just have some rationale behind it.
I guess the most we can do is to use corpus to determine word frequencies, collocations, ESP, and then teach accordingly.
Here's Willis.
http://forum.corpus4u.org/upload/forum/2006042210364584.pdf

yes, i can't agree with you more:)
the Touchstone series may underline some new thought in teaching philosophy, but as long as it is only printed pictures, the related and extended materials are only lacework.
corpus has greatly improved our understanding of what a native speaker's competence is, but it hardly help the accumulation of our competence in a second language in a short cut.

Back
顶部