AAACL06 plenary: Discourse structures and corpus linguistics

xiaoz

永远的超级管理员
Staff member
AAACL 06 in Arizona: Plenary, Program, etc.

American Association of Applied Corpus Linguistics

October 20 -22, 2006

Flagstaff, AZ USA

This year's conference of the American Association of Applied Corpus Linguistics (AAACL) is pleased to announce Dr. Ulla Connor, as the invited plenary for this year's conference. Ulla Connor holds the Barbara E. and Karl R. Zimmer Chair in Intercultural Communication and is the Director of Indiana Center for Intercultural Communication at Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis. She is a productive scholar having written 8 academic books and over 95 scholarly articles and book chapters. In addition, Ulla has given over 100 invited lectures in many different countries. Below is an abstract of Ulla Connor's plenary
Discourse structures and corpus linguistics
Corpus analysis using large, general corpora have provided evidence about recurring language patterns and about lexical, grammatical, and lexico-grammatical aspects of language. Such studies have been invaluable for constructing grammars and dictionaries of general language use. More recently, however, text and discourse analysis have had an effect on corpus linguistics. There is a growing emphasis on the analysis of communicative functions of specific discourses and sections of discourses with an eye to identifying patterns and the distribution of these functions and how they are linguistically realized. Genre analysis, for example, has encouraged researchers to study the language use in the different rhetorical “moves” or semantic/functional categories of research articles, grant proposals, letters of job application, and introductions of speakers (e.g., Henry and Roseberry, 2001, Connor, Precht, and Upton, 2002). In other words, a “top-down” text analysis has guided the subsequent computerized study of the communicative/functional chunks of texts. Other discourse structure-oriented research has used a bottom-up approach (starting with perceptible variation in linguistic features across the text) to identify meaningful chunks of discourse, such Biber et al.’s (2004) vocabulary-based discourse unit approach. In this presentation, I will discuss the challenges and benefits of such discourse-based approaches in corpus linguistics, using examples from published and ongoing research, with special attention to discourse tagging.

Last edited by a moderator:
I propose that corpus4uers attending this conference have a casual meeting with each other (I have noticed a number of them) in Flagstaff.

Who are "we"? If you can identify yourself, we could have a get together. I (H Tao) will be there Thursday evening and leave late Saturday.

Look forward to meeting you all.

Xiao, will you be there? It would be good to meet you and 动态语法 there.

No, I will not be able to go - will be examining a PhD thesis at Manchester University at that time. My co-author Hongyin will present the paper.

Back
顶部