A Corpus-Driven Approach to Genre Analysis

laohong

管理员
Staff member
A Corpus-Driven Approach to Genre Analysis: The Reinvestigation of Academic, Newspaper and Literary Texts

Yasunori Nishina, University of Birmingham

Abstract
This paper investigates a number of text corpora belonging to different genres, and applies various statistical methods on features extracted from them. Through this empirical analysis we can identify internal criteria which support the assignment of genres to texts based on external ones.

Yasunori Nishina (2007) “A Corpus-Driven Approach to Genre Analysis: The Reinvestigation of Academic, Newspaper and Literary Texts”, ELR Journal, 1 (2).

Full paper available at:
http://ejournals.org.uk/ELR/article/2007/2

回复: A Corpus-Driven Approach to Genre Analysis

thanks,laohong

ps the page was not quite reader-friendly :(

It is a pity that some grammatical errors and mistakes are committed in this paper.

An interesting reading, but this author appears to have misunderstood me when I was quoted as one of "some researchers" who "have doubts about the MD approach". No, I have no doubt about MDA, and I cannot see why the statement "they comment that keyword analyses can provide the same results as an MD approach" should be taken as the evidence for "doubts about the MD approach" -any relevance at all?

haha, your point was used to against MD, the tricks are in the elliptical part before sing the keyword...

This is because some researchers have doubts about the MD approach; they comment that keyword analyses can provide the same results as an MD approach: e.g. McEnery and Xiao (2005:63) criticise the MD approach as follows:

MDA is undoubtedly a powerful tool in genre analysis. But associated with this power is complexity. The approach is very demanding both computationally and statistically in that it requires expertise not only in extracting a large number of linguistic features from corpora but also in undertaking sophisticated statistical analysis. … sing the keyword function of WordSmith can achieve approximately the same effect as Biber’s MDA. This approach is less demanding as WordSmith can generate wordlists and extract keywords automatically.

Keywords analysis can ONLY APPROXIMATE MD analysis.

Back
顶部