鼠年是the Year of the Mouse还是the year of the Rat

windyyw

初级会员
鼠年的英文是the Year of the Rat吗?至少我搜索Yahoo,大部分“鼠年”的表达方式是用Rat。这合适吗?在英文里,mouse和rat相比,mouse的形象更好些,mouse有的涵义有quiet as a mouse,poor as a church mouse, 或play cat and mouse,基本上意思都比较中性,而rat含有“不忠诚”“欺骗”的贬义比较多,如 “But you promised to help us, you rat!”“rat sb out”. 既然如此,为什么还会用“the Year of the Rat”,是约定俗成的影响吗?

回复: 鼠年是the Year of the Mouse还是the year of the Rat

I prepare for both. I also ask an American friend about the confusion. His answer could throw some light on the issue, I guess. Here is part of his email:

That is certainly an interesting question about rats and mice. Probably rats have a worse reputation in the West dating back to the Bubonic Plague, or Black Death in the middle ages (1300s). It was not the rats themselves, but the fleas that lived on the rat's hairy bodies that killed 1/3 of all Europeans.

Mice are always smaller, and don't seem as threatening as rats.

In defense of rats, some people in the rest have rats for pets, which they keep in a cage. There are not wild rats, but are bred for the purpose of being sold as pets, and are clean and healthy.

Maybe rats and mice do have a bad reputation in the West, but probably the Year of the Pig would be more disturbing to Muslims.

Personally, I don't think Westerners pay any attention to the significance of the rat as being the name of a year in China. They would just consider it an ancient astrological tradition and do not think that Chinese people would have any great affection for rats themselves.

There are many people in the West who are also interested in the Zodiac and astrology, and would be more interested in it from that consideration. Western astrology has a zodiac sign of "Cancer" which does not sound too inviting either.

回复: 鼠年是the Year of the Mouse还是the year of the Rat

Year of the rat

(BBC learning english website)

Back
顶部