[讨论]another unsuccessful quotation?

patricx

高级会员
以下是引用 patricx2005-7-25 23:02:03 的发言:
can anybody understand this example? i am very confused

For instance, in example 10-3, how can ungrammatical utterances be distinguished from ones that simply haven't occured yet? if our finite corpus does not contain the sentence (a), how do we conclude that it is ungrammatical, while those in (b), (c), and (d) are grammatical?

*a)He shines Tony books.
b)He gives Tony books.
c)He lends Tony books
d)He owes Tony books.

and the book(p338) continues:
"Apart from Chomsky, there were problems of practicality with corpus linguistics. For instance, how can one imagine searching through an 11-million-word corpus using nothing more than your eyes?(Abercrombie1963)"

i firmly believe that Abercrombie could not say such an unclear example, and i think the quotation is wrong or incomplete.

anybody can help me find the original sentece by Abercrombie? the resource is very limited at hand.

Again the citation is from M &W 1996/2001: The data processing problem - what Abercrombie (1965) called 'pseudi-procedure'.

The quotation of Abercrombie should be 1965, NOT 1963. Didn't the authors of that book include a reference to M&W1996 or 2001: 12-13 for their citation? If so, I am afraid this is not an honest practice...

回复:[讨论]another unsuccessful quotation?

以下是引用 xiaoz2005-7-26 19:25:24 的发言:
Again the citation is from M &W 1996/2001: The data processing problem - what Abercrombie (1965) called 'pseudi-procedure'.

The quotation of Abercrombie should be 1965, NOT 1963. Didn't the authors of that book include a reference to M&W1996 or 2001: 12-13 for their citation? If so, I am afraid this is not an honest practice...

thanks Dr.xiao. The author Hu Zhuanglin& Peng Xuangwei obviously haven't mentioned M&W1996 or 2001: 12-13 , that's really bad. and also quoted the wrong date of Abercrombie.
can you provide the thesis or the original article, i couldn't find them in my college. thank u very much!

Abercrombie, D (1965): Studies in Phonetics and Linguistics, Oxford University Press.

many thanks!
the first one you mentioned is this book? "[McEnery and Wilson,1996,2ed 2001] T. McEnery and A. Wilson, Corpus Linguistics: Edinburgh University Press, 1996,2001"

This is not an article. This is a book - Corpus Lingusitics. 1996 and 2001 are first and second editions of the same book. It is available in a library in Beijing.

it's a pity i am in a small city near Wuhan. God bless me i can find them in Wuhan.
thanks Richard!!!

You can surely find the 1996 edition at the national library. I guess 2001 edition should also be available. Try www.nlc.gov.cn.

thanks Dr.xu
What you mean is paper book or E-book at the national library? if it is E-book, it's convenient to buy

National library provides photocopy and mailing service, you can submit your request of photocopying a certain book or part (page range) of a book. They can send you the photocopy.

Back
顶部