confused by this kind of description again

patricx

高级会员
still that Hu zhuanglin's book continues (p339)

"We may take our initial list of examples of the word and extract from this another list, say of all the examples of the word followed closely by another word, say pronoun, or followed by a punctuation mark. This process described above is often included in a concordance program. Ex. 10-4 illustrates the concordance listing for the word deal. (Biber, et al., 1998) ex. 10-4
and secret plans proposed to deal with the mass sit-down 1
of companies and put one property deal through each. Mr. 2
In particular, a good deal of concern has been 3
hangs a tale―and a great deal of money. Neville 4
where his new measures to deal with Britain's 5
just a matter of working a good deal harder before we really 6
"I m mixed up in a deal involving millions 7
the book concludes: This is the tool more often implemented in corpus linguistics to examine corpora. Whatever philosophical advantages we may eventual¬ly see in a corpus, it is the computer which allows us to exploit corpora on a large scale with speed and accuracy."

1.the underlined sentence means we can get the second wordlist of concordancing? how can i operate exactly ?
i am not sure and try to guess the meaning though i know a little about concordancing.

2. what does "philosophical advantages" mean here?

[本贴已被 作者 于 2005年07月27日 07时17分22秒 编辑过]

[本贴已被 作者 于 2005年07月27日 07时24分58秒 编辑过]

I haven't read that book, but if I guess right, 1) the list does not refer to a wordlist, but a list of (KWIC) concordance lines; 2) 'philosophical advantage' is simply a clumsy, roundabout way to say advantage, which intends to show off by confusing the reader.

that's right. thanks Richard! i will wait for your "corpus linguistics" course book, and i have sent an order email to book.orders@routledge.co.uk

回复:confused by this kind of description again

以下是引用 patricx2005-7-27 7:14:36 的发言:
still that Hu zhuanglin's book continues (p339)

"We may take our initial list of examples of the word and extract from this another list, say of all the examples of the word followed closely by another word, say pronoun, or followed by a punctuation mark. This process described above is often included in a concordance program. Ex. 10-4 illustrates the concordance listing for the word deal. (Biber, et al., 1998) ex. 10-4
and secret plans proposed to deal with the mass sit-down 1
of companies and put one property deal through each. Mr. 2
In particular, a good deal of concern has been 3
hangs a tale―and a great deal of money. Neville 4
where his new measures to deal with Britain's 5
just a matter of working a good deal harder before we really 6
"I m mixed up in a deal involving millions 7
the book concludes: This is the tool more often implemented in corpus linguistics to examine corpora. Whatever philosophical advantages we may eventual¬ly see in a corpus, it is the computer which allows us to exploit corpora on a large scale with speed and accuracy."

1.the underlined sentence means we can get the second wordlist of concordancing? how can i operate exactly ?
i am not sure and try to guess the meaning though i know a little about concordancing.

2. what does "philosophical advantages" mean here?

i probably know what your first question means?

it can't be called the second or third, on and on, concordance.

it is a little bit similar to searching with google. first, you type in a word and search.
second, you type in another word and search in the previous searching results.

to make it clear, i would like to give an example concerned with corpus.
i want to study the mistakes made by Chinese EFL learners in the acquistion of the present perfective tense. but CLEC only provide the search for tense errors . consequently, i first search for all tense errors and got a concordance. then, i use the concordance and pick out all the present perfective tense errors and make another concordance with some sort of concordancer. if you want to go deeper, you need to make a third or a fourth concordance based on your previous concondances.

is that clear?

回复:confused by this kind of description again

以下是引用 hancunxin2005-7-27 9:26:55 的发言:

i probably know what your first question means?

it can't be called the second or third, on and on, concordance.

it is a little bit similar to searching with google. first, you type in a word and search.
second, you type in another word and search in the previous searching results.

to make it clear, i would like to give an example concerned with corpus.
i want to study the mistakes made by Chinese EFL learners in the acquistion of the present perfective tense. but CLEC only provide the search for tense errors . consequently, i first search for all tense errors and got a concordance. then, i use the concordance and pick out all the present perfective tense errors and make another concordance with some sort of concordancer. if you want to go deeper, you need to make a third or a fourth concordance based on your previous concondances.

is that clear?

quite clear. thanks hancunxin! i have got it. the book(Hu zhuanglin) seems to tell us something about searching Keyword and the collocations of the keyword. For example:
we first can get a list of "deal", then we can get a list of examples to see which high frequent word with this "deal" in collocation searching. am i right?

[本贴已被 作者 于 2005年07月27日 09时43分35秒 编辑过]

Back
顶部