Appraisal and Corpus

xujiajin

管理员
Staff member

I've worked on Appraisal in multinational corporations' Sustainability Reports for my Masters' thesis.
Identifying and quantifying Appraisal automatically, I've found, implies some challenging methodological issues. You could try to have a look at these references. They have been helpful to me.

- Hunston, S. (2004). Counting the uncountable: problems of identifying evaluation in a text and in a corpus. In Partington, M. and Haarman, L. (eds.), Corpora and Discourse. Peter Lang, 157-188.

- Kaltenbacher, M. 2006. ''Culture related linguistic differences in tourist websites: the emotive and the factual. A corpus analysis within the framework of Appraisal?. In: Thompson, G. & S. Hunston (eds). System and Corpus. Exploring Connections. London: Equinox: 269-292.
I've also come across a couple of studies of Appraisal in Sentiment Analysis (freely available on the Web). Even if my background is different they were stimulating and useful.

Hope this helps.

From Corpora List

回复: Appraisal and Corpus

关于Appraisal and corpus结合研究的书目,已经有一些了。
除上述两篇文章外,还可以参看Donna Miller (2002), Coffin & O'Halloran (2004,2006), Bednarek (2006, 2008, 2009),具体书名可在这个帖子里找到
http://www.corpus4u.org/showthread.php?t=6744
Functions of Language 2009年末也有一个与此相关的特辑。

Back
顶部