About Error in Speech

michelhere

初级会员
As for error, it's an interesting concept, especially when we are talking about error in speech and error in L2 learners' speech.
What do you guys think?
How to define the concept of error?

But wait....
In SLA, error analysis seems out of date and has been seriously criticized for focusing on learners' errors only. Granger explained (in a paper which I read about a year ago, but I cannot find it right now) that when you have an error-tagged corpus, not only can the errors be analyzed, but learners' achievement can also be studied, clearly suggesting that focusing on errors has its disadvantages.
Now, my point is that errors can be studied in depth when necessary, but that does not seem enough.

This book is probably the greatest work on error analysis.
My point is that error analysis may put yourself into trouble, so you'd better include something else if you insist on carrying out an error analysis.

回复:About Error in Speech

以下是引用 frankliang2005-9-18 10:12:52 的发言:
This book is probably the greatest work on error analysis.
My point is that error analysis may put yourself into trouble, so you'd better include something else if you insist on carrying out an error analysis.

agree. you need to form an appropriate framework to make up something that goes away error analysis but also important in SLA.

回复:About Error in Speech

And look this way:
Schachter, J. (1974). An error in error analysis. Language Learning 24:205-214.
(This was published even before Corder's 1981 book, though a few years later than Corder's 1967 book)

And here is Tono's rather weak argument:
In 1970s and early 80s, a large number of papers on error analysis were published throughout the world. However, it lost its attention and enthusiasm gradually as more and more criticism was made against the approach and method of error analysis. As the present writer makes an attempt to analyse learner language oncomputer, it is essential to review the previous work of error analysis and identify what it aimed to achieve and how it failed. Otherwise, it could be just a repetition of what was already done a decade ago and not very much meaningful. Error analysis using learner corpora must be significantly different from traditional error analysis, in quality and quantity.

(EA in 1970s: popularity and criticism)

[本贴已被 作者 于 2005年09月18日 22时57分17秒 编辑过]

回复: About Error in Speech

您好,我尝试下载前面的链接,但似乎无法下载,不知是不是时间太久了,能否麻烦再贴一次。如果有更多关于speech error 的文献能否上传

Re-uploaded copy:

附件

• EA&interl-ocr.rtf
    1,018.3 KB · 浏览: 25

This is a book on error in SLA in general. It is not a psycholinguistic book on speech error.

I met some problems about the chunks used in Chinese EFL learners' public speech, for example, "Personally,I think that..." "From my point of view, I think ..." Can this kind of saying be called errors in oral English?

Back
顶部