"自建语料库"应当怎么说?

azure991

初级会员
请教各位前辈:
我的毕业论文是基于自己收集sample texts(大部分来自BNC,其他随机选自网络和文本资料)的语料库所作的研究。我在论文中对此的定义是self-built corpus和self-established corpus。导师让我再问问权威人士这种表达方式是否合理。故发到此处向大家咨询。如果不行的话,应当怎么表达呢?
many thanks!
^_^

多谢楼上两位的回复!
Yet I feel 'DIY corpus' a verbal phrase rather than a noun phrase, can it be used to refer to a certain kind of corpus?
Thanks again!

"a DIY corpus" seems to me not as formal as required of the language used in most research discourse. "Self-built or compiled" may suffice to make yourself clear.

回复:"自建语料库"应当怎么说?

以下是引用 fuyanger2006-5-5 22:44:37 的发言:
"a DIY corpus" seems to me not as formal as required of the language used in most research discourse. "Self-built or compiled" may suffice to make yourself clear.

Even Xiaoz has used "a DIY corpus" in his newly published work.
http://www.corpus4u.com/forum_view.asp?forum_id=10&view_id=95

It is an interesting issue whether DIY is a formal or informal expression.

I tried the BNC and all of the 426 instances of DIY were found in writing - none in the spoken part.

In the writtten categories, DIY is most frequent in the written-to-be-spoken category, but is also used in books and periodicals and written misc categories.

In terms of the text domains, DIY is most frequent in Leisure, and Commerce and business, followed by Applied science, and Brief and thought. with the possible exception of Leisure, all of the other domains are scientific writing.

The above evidence appears to suggest that the statement that DIY is an informal expression is ungrounded.

以下是引用 xiaoz2006-5-6 0:25:54 的发言:

fuyanger's statement is not concerned with DIY only but rather "a DIY corpus". Interested C-pals would probably do a further research by using concordancing tools , search engines or online corpora to reveal the "companion" that "DIY corpus"or "DIY corpora" keeps in either formal or informal context.

Wow~~~ I didn't expect that this topic could become such a hot issue,hehe!

Anyway thanks to all the experts who have kindly offered their suggestions or opinions. I've changed 'self-built/established corpus' into 'DIY corpus' in my graduate thesis and now I'm waiting to see my advisor's response.

Yet I should say that personally I think 'self-compiled corpus' might also be acceptable in formal context.

回复: 回复:"自建语料库"应当怎么说?

I tried the BNC and all of the 426 instances of DIY were found in writing - none in the spoken part.

In the writtten categories, DIY is most frequent in the written-to-be-spoken category, but is also used in books and periodicals and written misc categories.

In terms of the text domains, DIY is most frequent in Leisure, and Commerce and business, followed by Applied science, and Brief and thought. with the possible exception of Leisure, all of the other domains are scientific writing.

The above evidence appears to suggest that the statement that DIY is an informal expression is ungrounded.

I remember Halliday claimed that written and spoken discourses are in a continuum. there is no clear-cut boundary between these two modes.

Back
顶部