Verbs in the Written English of Chinese Learners

回复: Verbs in the Written English of Chinese Learners

Posed on behalf of Xiaotian Guo -

[FONT=宋体]各位语料库语言学界的同仁[/FONT]

[FONT=宋体]大家好![/FONT]

[FONT=宋体]我荣幸地通知大家我的博士论文[/FONT]

Verbs in the Written English of Chinese Learners: A Corpus-based Comparison between Non-native Speakers and Native Speakers

[FONT=宋体]已由[/FONT]Linguistics Journal[FONT=宋体]学术杂志社在网上公开发表。欢迎有兴趣的老师和同学下载阅读:[/FONT] http://www.linguistics-journal.com/thesis.php

[FONT=宋体]该论文在语料库语言学界的著名学者[/FONT]Susan Hunston[FONT=宋体]教授的精心指导下,对中国学生的写作英语对照母语学生的写作英语,进行了大规模的研究。该研究以动词为中心,通过语料库方法,试图揭示中国学生在写作时的一些具体特点。该研究主要受到[/FONT]John Sinclair, Susan Hunston,[FONT=宋体][/FONT]Sylviane Granger[FONT=宋体]的学术研究成果和学术思想的影响,创造性地利用语料库语言学领域的先进方法,对英语教学领域的一些实用问题进行了大胆的探索。这些问题包括学生英语在动词与名词之间的取向,在动词不同的折射形式之间的取向,动词词汇量的大小,动词[/FONT]TAKE[FONT=宋体]所有的前后搭配,以及动词[/FONT]KEEP[FONT=宋体]的所有[/FONT]patterns[FONT=宋体]。在具体的研究基础之上,该研究试图对目前流行的[/FONT]underuse [FONT=宋体][/FONT] overuse [FONT=宋体]进行发展和补充,也对该研究的发现对词汇教学,评定群体英语的写作水平等问题进行了探讨。在论文答辩时,该论文得到了的校外评定老师[/FONT]Mike Scott[FONT=宋体]和校内评定老师[/FONT]Martin Hewings [FONT=宋体]的高度评价,并建议在更大的范围内发表。[/FONT]

[FONT=宋体]该论文在写作期间得到了很多学者的帮助和支持,本人在此表示特别感谢(详情见论文的致谢部分)。本人衷心希望该论文对学习者英语的研究能够发挥一点作用,有不足之处还要敬请各位批评指正。[/FONT]

[FONT=宋体]此致[/FONT]

[FONT=宋体]学业兴旺[/FONT] [FONT=宋体]事业有成[/FONT]

[FONT=宋体]郭孝田[/FONT]
[FONT=宋体]新视野语言中心[/FONT]
Cornwall House[FONT=宋体][/FONT] 31 Lionel Street[FONT=宋体][/FONT] Birmingham[FONT=宋体][/FONT] B3 1AP[FONT=宋体][/FONT] The UK
www.language-centre.co.uk
study@language-centre.co.uk
0121 710 3739
——————————————————————————

Dear colleagues

I am glad to announce that my PhD thesis in learner English corpus study, under Professor Susan Hunston in the University of Birmingham, has been published by Linguistics Journal at the following website:
http://www.linguistics-journal.com/thesis.php

The title of the thesis is:

Verbs in the Written English of Chinese Learners: A Corpus-based Comparison between Non-native Speakers and Native Speakers

Examiners: Dr. Mike Scott (external) and Dr. Martin Hewings (internal)

Time of submission: October, 2006

I have been trying to have this published since the submission of the thesis to the university because I believe that this research is useful to learner English studies, English teaching and learning and perhaps SLA; and that such of a thesis with so much whole-hearted dedication should not stay idle in the university library, especially when corpus linguistics is becoming popular and being accepted by many neighbouring disciplines. The research was completed over six long years in which I used approximately four years time on study and the other two years on part-time work for the tuition fees and supporting my family.

I am grateful to all those who have helped me in one way or another (I hope I have included everybody in my acknowledgements, pardon me if I haven’t). Also, may I thank all those of you who have replied to my queries on the Corpora mailing list regarding learner English studies during my PhD research?

I do hope this piece of research bring my two cents in learner English study to the corpora world. Your comments are warmly welcome.

Currently, I am running a language centre in Birmingham to make a living (teaching English and Chinese) but have not stopped seeking an academic job in corpus linguistics or a relevant area around the world.

All the best wishes

Xiaotian Guo
Director
New Vision Language Centre
Cornwall House[FONT=宋体][/FONT] 31 Lionel Street[FONT=宋体][/FONT] Birmingham[FONT=宋体][/FONT] B3 1AP[FONT=宋体][/FONT] The UK
0121 710 3739

Last edited by a moderator:

[FONT=宋体]大家好![/FONT]
[FONT=宋体]已由[/FONT]Linguistics Journal[FONT=宋体]学术杂志社在网上公开发表。欢迎有兴趣的老师和同学下载阅读:[/FONT] http://www.linguistics-journal.com/thesis.php

恭喜郭博士!先睹为快!:)

Thanks for Dr. Guo , Dr.LaoHong, and Richard Xiao.

不容易啊!读博很辛苦的,读语料库的博士更是辛苦!祝贺!

[FONT=宋体]大家好![/FONT]

[FONT=宋体]该论文在语料库语言学界的著名学者[/FONT]Susan Hunston[FONT=宋体]教授的精心指导下,对中国学生的写作英语对照母语学生的写作英语,进行了大规模的研究。该研究以动词为中心,通过语料库方法,试图揭示中国学生在写作时的一些具体特点。该研究主要受到[/FONT]John Sinclair, Susan Hunston,[FONT=宋体][/FONT]Sylviane Granger[FONT=宋体]的学术研究成果和学术思想的影响,创造性地利用语料库语言学领域的先进方法,对英语教学领域的一些实用问题进行了大胆的探索。这些问题包括学生英语在动词与名词之间的取向,在动词不同的折射形式之间的取向,动词词汇量的大小,动词[/FONT]TAKE[FONT=宋体]所有的前后搭配,以及动词[/FONT]KEEP[FONT=宋体]的所有[/FONT]patterns[FONT=宋体]。在具体的研究基础之上,该研究试图对目前流行的[/FONT]underuse [FONT=宋体][/FONT] overuse [FONT=宋体]进行发展和补充,也对该研究的发现对词汇教学,评定群体英语的写作水平等问题进行了探讨。在论文答辩时,该论文得到了的校外评定老师[/FONT]Mike Scott[FONT=宋体]和校内评定老师[/FONT]Martin Hewings [FONT=宋体]的高度评价,并建议在更大的范围内发表。[/FONT]

[FONT=宋体]该论文在写作期间得到了很多学者的帮助和支持,本人在此表示特别感谢(详情见论文的致谢部分)。本人衷心希望该论文对学习者英语的研究能够发挥一点作用,有不足之处还要敬请各位批评指正。[/FONT]

[FONT=宋体]此致[/FONT]

[FONT=宋体]学业兴旺[/FONT] [FONT=宋体]事业有成[/FONT]

[FONT=宋体]郭孝田[/FONT]
[FONT=宋体]新视野语言中心[/FONT]
0121 710 3739
——————————————————————————

Dear colleagues

I am glad to announce that my PhD thesis in learner English corpus study, under Professor Susan Hunston in the University of Birmingham, has been published by Linguistics Journal at the following website:
http://www.linguistics-journal.com/thesis.php

The title of the thesis is:

Examiners: Dr. Mike Scott (external) and Dr. Martin Hewings (internal)

Time of submission: October, 2006

I have been trying to have this published since the submission of the thesis to the university because I believe that this research is useful to learner English studies, English teaching and learning and perhaps SLA; and that such of a thesis with so much whole-hearted dedication should not stay idle in the university library, especially when corpus linguistics is becoming popular and being accepted by many neighbouring disciplines. The research was completed over six long years in which I used approximately four years time on study and the other two years on part-time work for the tuition fees and supporting my family.

I am grateful to all those who have helped me in one way or another (I hope I have included everybody in my acknowledgements, pardon me if I haven’t). Also, may I thank all those of you who have replied to my queries on the Corpora mailing list regarding learner English studies during my PhD research?

I do hope this piece of research bring my two cents in learner English study to the corpora world. Your comments are warmly welcome.

Currently, I am running a language centre in Birmingham to make a living (teaching English and Chinese) but have not stopped seeking an academic job in corpus linguistics or a relevant area around the world.

All the best wishes

Xiaotian Guo
Director
New Vision Language Centre
0121 710 3739
前辈您好,很想拜读您的文章,但现在链接打不开了,搜百链云和Sage目前也没有找到。好遗憾啊

更新一下信息吧。郭博士的大作发表在以下网址 http://asian-efl-journal.com/thesis...ween-non-native-speakers-and-native-speakers/

但是,很遗憾,没法找到全文PDF。详见下列信息:

Title & KeywordsAuthorAbstractArticle
Title

Author
Xiaotian Guo
University of Birmingham

Abstract
This thesis consists of ten chapters and its research methodology is a combination of quantitative and qualitative. Chapter One introduces the theme of the thesis, a demonstration of a corpus-based comparative approach in detecting the needs of the learners by looking for the similarities and disparities between the learner English (the COLEC corpus) and the NS English (the LOCNESS corpus). Chapter Two reviews the literature in relevant learner language studies and indicates the tasks of the research. The data and technology are introduced in Chapter Three. Chapter Four shows how two verb lemma lists can be made by using the Wordsmith Tools supported by other corpus and IT tools. How to make sense of the verb lemma lists is the focus of the second part of this chapter. Chapter Five deals with the individual forms of verbs and the findings suggest that there is less homogeneity in the learner English than the NS English. Chapter Six extends the research to verb noun relationships in the learner English and the NS English and the result shows that the learners prioritise verbs over nouns. Chapter Seven studies the learners preferences in using the patterns of KEEP compared with those of the NSs, and finds that the learners have various problems in using this simple verb. In this chapter, too, my reservations about the traditional use of overuse and underuse are expressed and a finer classification system is suggested. Chapter Eight compares another frequently-occurring verb, TAKE, in the aspect of collocates and yields similar findings that the learners have problems even with such simple vocabulary. In Chapter Nine, the research findings from Chapter Four to Chapter Eight are revisited and discussed in relation to the theme of the thesis. The concluding chapter, Chapter Ten, summarises the previous chapters and envisages how learner language studies will develop in the coming few years.

GDE Error: Error retrieving file - if necessary turn off error checking (404:Not Found)

Back
顶部