Frequency is unconscious

xiaoz

永远的超级管理员
Staff member
Geoff Leech said in his talk yesterday that frequency is unconscious. Here is a little test: Can you decide on the most frequent / infrequent of the three Chinese words - 上午, 中午, 下午?

回复: Frequency is unconscious

"frequency is unconscious" was not the argument held by Geoff Leech. He was actually quoting Nick Ellis to introduce an ardent advocate of frequency in relation to SLA, implicit and explicit learning in particular.

The idea that unconscious counting which informs human learning and categorization was set up as a target to argue for or against in a special issue of SSLA in 2002.

I am attaching his target article (key points highlighted) and one of counter-argument papers by Elaine Tarone. If you are interested, you can read the other ten more discussions in the same issue by well-known scholars in SLA.

If you don't have access to the papers, you can read Prof 文秋芳's review of the 2002 special issue published in 现代外语 if I am not mistaken.

附件

• Ellis(2002a).pdf
    242.4 KB · 浏览: 33
  • Frequency effects, noticing, and creativity.pdf
    84.1 KB · 浏览: 35
回复: Frequency is unconscious

application of frequency information to language teaching is quite difficult,esp.if you want to make it interesting enough for learners.
two weeks ago, Pro.Tono from Japan gave an interesting and successful demostration of this kind in South China Normal University.
a TV show made by NHK in Japan.
Using frequency information from BNC
i think it's fun

Back
顶部