研究习作:英国英语中的Cheers的用法?

xujiajin

管理员
Staff member
"Cheers" is said to be overused, if not abused, in present-day BrE? What is actually happening with "cheers"?

[本贴已被 动态语法 于 2005年08月18日 14时48分26秒 编辑过]

Usage profile of cheers

Typically used in spoken English:
15.66 instances per million words
especially in dialogue: 17.69
both male (16.46) and female (16.22) speakers
aged 15-24 (64.38) 25-34 (31.5)
in the domain of leisure: 14.36

I think Mike Scott has a young heart - he "cheers" at the end of every email...

[本贴已被 xujiajin 于 2005年08月18日 11时54分22秒 编辑过]

回复:有没有人研究过英国英语中的Cheers

以下是引用 xiaoz2005-8-18 10:30:58 的发言:
Usage profile of cheers

Typically used in spoken English:
15.66 instances per million words
especially in dialogue: 17.69
both male (16.46) and female (16.22) speakers
aged 15-24 (64.38) 25-34 (31.5)
in the domain of leisure: 14.36

I think Mike Scott has a young heart - he "cheers" at the end of every email...

[本贴已被 xujiajin ?2005年08月18日 11时54分22秒 编辑过]

Any studies on email usage of cheers? Sounds like that sits on the boarder
of spoken-written language.

回复:研究习作:英国英语中的Cheers的用法?

Any studies on email usage of cheers? Sounds like that sits on the boarder
of spoken-written language.

I heard someone else make the similar comment on network language. I cannot agree more with this.

BTW: Are Americans used to using the "cheers" similarly, not only in email but in daily conversation meaning "you're welcome", "goodbye" etc?

One of my teachers came from Britain and she surprised that British people "cheers" everywhere.

回复:研究习作:英国英语中的Cheers的用法?

Based on the BNC.

以下是引用 xujiajin2005-8-18 11:56:19 的发言:
Where did u get the stats?

There is, however, one British word that causes me problems. `Cheers', as used by the British, has absolutely no American equivalent. It's used in particular with people you don't know. It's an I'm-just-recognizing-you-exist word. `Cheers' is what a store clerk says when you collect your purchase. `Cheers' is what someone says to you in a movie theater when you stand up to let them in the aisle.

It's a versatile and useful word, and the lack of an American equivalent places me in an awkward situation when someone says `cheers' to me. I can either say something that doesn't fit the situation (usually `thanks' or `welcome') or say nothing at all.

Since I had been chatting with the Englishman in KFC, I wanted to acknowledge him, but the closest American equivalent, `See you later', wasn't appropriate because I almost certainly never would.

I'll blame it on my mental weakness from my illness, but I made a conscious, decision to defect from my natural vocabulary.

``Cheers.'' I said.

And, to my annoyance, as though he was doing it intentionally because he heard my internal monologue on not wanting to say `cheers' he replied:

``See you later.''

http://www.colingregorypalmer.net/london/journal/2004-03-10-cheers.html

[本贴已被 xujiajin 于 2005年08月19日 12时44分37秒 编辑过]

Back
顶部