[求助]lexical density tools needed

valeriazuo

初级会员
各位语料库的前辈们, 我是搞功能语法的, 在做硕士毕业论文,需要能查词汇密度(lexical density)的软件, 请各位多多指教,指出那个软件能查和在哪能下载,thanks。

Can you describe the expected output of your lexical density tools?
Do you refer functional grammar to systemic-functional grammar or otherwise?

回复:[求助]lexical density tools needed

ACWT should be able to do that.

以下是引用 xiaoz2005-9-18 22:13:40 的发言:
ACWT should be able to do that.

Richard has a good memory.

2005091822404312.jpg

以下是引用 xusun5752005-9-18 22:25:59 的发言:
pls try this site: http://textalyser.net/

Yes. LD analysis can be found at the site.
Complexity factor (Lexical Density) :

Beware of the different ways of calculating lexical desity. ACWT
gives just two of those commonly used methods. So when you use
an online LD analyzer, you need to know how the author defines LD
(or any other concept for that matter).

Whatever method you choose to use, there should be a theoretical
justification for it.

A conventional way to measure the lexical density is to use TTR (type-token ratio). In comparing texts of different sizes, standardised TTR is recommended. Both are computed automatically when a word list is created using wordsmith's Wordlist.

Thanks for all of your suggestions and detailed links. Dear mr. xu, I intend to investigate the distinctions between spoken language and written language. I'm required to finish my thesis in the framework of FG because my tutor's interest is FG and discourse analysis. I want to adopt Ure's way or Halliday's way to calculate lexical density . The output can indicate students' oral language simliar to written one, not real spoken language.

TTR has been criticised a lot for its sensitivity to text length, and Malvern and Richards have proposed a different measure, which is much less sensitive to text length. Their tool is available at

http://www.swan.ac.uk/cals/calsres/lognostics.htm

Related literature:
Durán, P., Malvern, D., Richards, B., & Chipere, N. (2004). Developmental trends in lexical diversity. Applied Linguistics, 25 (2), 220-242.
Malvern, D., & Richards, B. (2002). Investigating accommodation in language proficiency interviews using a new measure of lexical diversity. Language Testing, 19 (1), 85-104.

thanks a lot, Dr. Xiao and Mr. 动态语法!doyou know any books available at home that cover the justification of lexical density? Thanks a lot for reminding me of the neccesity of making sure of the different way of measuring lexical density!

TTR is sensitive to text length. That's why I said standardised TTR is to be used when comparing texts of different lengths...

以下是引用 frankliang2005-9-19 12:25:16 的发言:
TTR has been criticised a lot for its sensitivity to text length, and Malvern and Richards have proposed a different measure, which is much less sensitive to text length. Their tool is available at http://www.swan.ac.uk/cals/calsres/lognostics.htm
Related literature:
Durán, P., Malvern, D., Richards, B., & Chipere, N. (2004). Developmental trends in lexical diversity. Applied Linguistics, 25 (2), 220-242.
Malvern, D., & Richards, B. (2002). Investigating accommodation in language proficiency interviews using a new measure of lexical diversity. Language Testing, 19 (1), 85-104.

Dr. Xiaoz, while I agree that standardized TTR is better as TTR, I am more inclined to accept the view that standard TTR is not really a good measure either, as the measure only takes into account part (say, the first 1000 words) of texts. In so doing, a good deal of the data have not been used. Therefore, using standardized TTR will lead to a waste of data.
Do you agree?

Mr.xiao, thanks for your link. what a pity! I couldn't operate it well. I opened a text file and applied a tool - Calculate LD(a la Ure/Stubbs) to it but there was no expected outcome. A dialog box popuped, which asked me to fill the number of content words and corpus size. In fact, I want it to count the number of content words and the size by itself but how can I order the tool to do this job? Thanks a lot for your kind advice.

Not excatly just the first thousand words of each text. Here is what Mike says about STTR:

"The standardised type/token ratio (STTR) is computed every n words as Wordlist goes through each text file. By default, n = 1,000. In other words the ratio is calculated for the first 1,000 running words, then calculated afresh for the next 1,000, and so on to the end of your text or corpus. A running average is computed, which means that you get an average type/token ratio based on consecutive 1,000-word chunks of text. (Texts with less than 1,000 words (or whatever n is set to) will get a standardised type/token ratio of 0.)"

以下是引用 frankliang2005-9-19 19:08:47 的发言:
Dr. Xiaoz, while I agree that standardized TTR is better as TTR, I am more inclined to accept the view that standard TTR is not really a good measure either, as the measure only takes into account part (say, the first 1000 words) of texts. In so doing, a good deal of the data have not been used. Therefore, using standardized TTR will lead to a waste of data.
Do you agree?

The author of this tool should be able to answer this question of yours and help in this respect...

以下是引用 valeriazuo2005-9-19 21:17:10 的发言:
Mr.xiao, thanks for your link. what a pity! I couldn't operate it well. I opened a text file and applied a tool - Calculate LD(a la Ure/Stubbs) to it but there was no expected outcome. A dialog box popuped, which asked me to fill the number of content words and corpus size. In fact, I want it to count the number of content words and the size by itself but how can I order the tool to do this job? Thanks a lot for your kind advice.

Back
顶部